Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Old York (as opposed to New York)

June 13, 2006


Another day, another blog post. Let me know if this is getting old (even if it is. I can't help it. I feel obligated to fill you in).

First, some business related stuff: Suzanne and I briefly discussed the processes for gathering honest, non-biased, truly-valuable insight from the client (for re-branding projects) this morning. She just wanted to share her thoughts and allow discussion before she met with some clients later in the day. Honestly, It's very reassuring to see how similar SUMO's approach is to Brains on Fire's. Either we've both caught on to a "system" that works, or we're both making the same mistakes. I guess only time and clients will tell (I'm intentionally being vague by the way. You think I'd let out those kind of "secrets?").

Second, I've been put on another assignment! I'm gonna be working on a "History of York" website, so SUMO sent me down to York for a day of research. It was only an hour or so ride by train. It gave me the chance to see the countryside and eventually come upon with the historical city of York.




Upon arrival, I didn't really know where to go, so I just followed the castle/catherdal spires I saw in the distance. As I approached the center of town, I noticed some pretty cool architecture. Once I got INTO the center of town, I was blown away. Wow! Another historical and beautiful city for me to enjoy... and I was actually here WORKING. My "sightseeing" is my research. Fantastic!



First things first though. I can't walk the city and soak up valuable information on an empty stomach, so that's when I decided to stop for lunch. I wandered a bit trying to decide where I'd eat. I needed a good "York Meal" (Sound familiar?). Anyway, I happened too see a menu item in a window I just HAD to try.



I was curious to see how I'd taste grilled.



Hmm... I didn't look as appetizing as I'd hoped. In fact, I tasted an awful lot like I'd just come from a Waffle House or any Meat-and-3 you've had the joy of experiencing. I had my food brought to me, but there was something out-of-whack. Ah, yes. No ketchup. I asked my server for ketchup and she gave me a puzzled look (seriously. she even asked, "ketchup?"), walked back into the kitchen and several minutes later she brought this to my table:




For a plate full of fries... er.. I mean "chips?" A single packet? Cool package though. Super-simple with no branding.



I spent the rest of the day wandering the streets, visiting museums, galleries, gift shops, blending in with the tourists, etc.... Trying to absorb thousands of years of history in a few hours. I think I got a good impression of the town (along with some exercise)... but it'll definitely be time to Google "York" when I get back. There's nothing wrong with that.














I eventually made my way back to the station and the office. Thanks for the research trip guys (SUMO)!


After the workday, some of the "hard-core" designers amongst us decided to visit the graphic design degree show at Northumbria University. The trip to the school was just a hop, skip and a jump... and another hop... and maybe another skip... but we eventually made it.



The room was pretty full. I'm really glad these students were getting this kind of support. We split ways to soak in the work of our future colleagues and competition. I saw a lot of good work... some bad work too of course. It's reassuring (or is that depressing?) that English design students can make horrible messes with zero concept and too many Photoshop filters as well as the American students. So it's definitely not cultural.




That's all for now loyal readers. Aren't you glad you feel obligated to read this stuff? I am.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. I agree w/the above post. You guys are in the middle of a great experience/opportunity. I'm glad you're enjoying it. The photos you take are great. It basically rubs it in just a little more each time. HA!

2 more things...

1- Are you allowed to show any of your design work on the blog while your there?

2- Is that Darth Sidious? I didn't know he visited York. (i'm a dork)

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great little punch doll. I have been following your adventures nightly and annoying Jaimie to do the same. So keep it up. I wonder will you meet Ms. Right. Just don't examine the teeth.

Seth

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just now catching up, man.
Looks like you are having a blast!!!
Dude, I had no idea you were such a great photographer. Although, I shouldn't be surprised!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Justin Gammon said...

I'm not gonna show the work in case due to possible legalities... or suckiness.

Also, yeah, that's a medieval darth sidious.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home