Thursday, June 15, 2006

England vs. Trinidad and Tobago

June 15, 2006

Nothing too thrilling going on for you guys today. Just another great day spent at SUMO creating some more variations for the Durham Literature Festival. Nothing final yet, but I'm getting excited. The piece is definitely becoming something that's more "cutting edge" than previously anticipated.

I don't have much to say other than we all worked a typical SUMO day. It all went well I think. I also did a bit of photo retouching again.

Umm.... and I ate a wrap for lunch. It had hummus. What do you want from me?

Oh! There was a highlight in the workday! Jim asked me and Jack to join him in an interview of a recent "uni" graduate... a graphic design student. The guy even reads my blog (it was very odd to meet a local design student who's been following my Newcastle adventures). Anyway, we'd reviewed this guy's work, but he insisted on even more specific pointers, direction, room for improvement, etc. I thought things went well enough, but apparently I ripped the guy a new one. I think someone mentioned "blunt American honesty," but I don't retract a thing I said. I gave him purely constructive criticism and direction. I told him exactly what he should do to enhance his work and presentation. Trust me, I was nice. Oh well. He needed it, Maybe he'll rework some of the pieces (I got the impression he won't)

Hey, remember my thoughts on everything closing at 6pm? Well, today, Newcastle took it up a notch. I think all businesses (other than pubs) shut down at 4pm for the football match ("soccer" for all the Americans that are confused). It was England vs. Trinidad and Tobago. There're some pretty passionate folks around here.

We actually left the office a bit early to visit a "tame" pub to watch the game, but it was packed. They wouldn't even allow us to come in. We stopped again at several other places before we finally found a place that could accommadate us. Nice place I guess. I think most folks just cared about the big screen TVs. Plenty of hooting and hollering and drinking for all. It was a good time. Luckily England won, 2-0. If not, I probably wouldn't be alive to post this entry in my blog.







Anyway, a handful of us just walked the town... meeting up with other friends for dinner and drinks.








Hey, Here's "Chinatown." I think it's more like "Chinastreet."



... and THIS is total bull. It's a sign posted on a back wall where most people wouldn't see it.



Here's a glimpse of the football passion. Wearing a cape to the chinese buffet. Hilarious.



That's it more-or-less. Nothing too groundbreaking or Newcastle-y here. Hmmm. Actually, this night is probably the Newcastle-iest of all nights. Groups roaming the streets in good spirits spending time with their friends.


OH! one last thing. I wanted you all to see the size of the elevator (or is that "lift?") in my hotel. Supposedly, it will fit 4 people. My back is against the wall in this shot.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well. gotta say- your newcastle adventure seems to be getting better and better. It's great that you got to see 'the people' in a great spirit w/ the game, etc.

The whole buffet sign thing is funny stuff. Could a place in America get away w/ that stuff? Probably not. It's a Phil Hendrie Show skit waiting to happen.

Elevators- tiny. Probably because there are no mass quantities of super obese people around, like in the states.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were having the usual Thursday night out. We had a great time here at Chicora last night (10 people). Jenn even joined us and she's on vacation. But, we forgot The Book!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Justin Gammon said...

You WHAT?!!

NOOOOO. Michael MUST contribute to the book. Next week I guess.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin! What did you do to your eyes? Is that you in that scary pic?

Hey friend. Glad to see you're having such a great time. I'm jealous. But, having my own adventure here, you know.

Um, primed the ceiling yesterday with out remembering to sand it first. Hmmm. Caught Max drinking out of the toilet bowl. Yeah, that's crazy, I know. Confiscated 2 Pokemon training games from 2 children who couldn't quit bickering over them...now don't be envious. And lastly, told Blue, no he could not, pour his queso dip in his Sprite, just to see what it tasted like. You wannt hurry back now, don't you?

We miss you already. Will be here most likely through the summer. Please please come for dinner when you get back. Love to you.
Allison

P.S. If you are tempted to look at my blog, don't. It hasn't had Justin Gammon's touch!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is the elevator picture actual size?

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next Thursday is road trip to Atlanta for Joe and Michael, hopefully they'll be back in time for Chicora!

Alison

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dot says to be sure and see the Durham Cathedral as well as the Yorkminster Cathedral...top attractions in the UK.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah,Italy had those tiny elevators too. I took a lot of stairs. So with all that walking you will probably loose a few pounds, I did. So how's the women?
Seth

9:56 AM  
Blogger Justin Gammon said...

Yeah, I'm definitely walking a lot. BUt what I'm eating isn't really that "good" for me.

The women? It varies. ;)

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home