Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cambridge

June 18, 2006

WARNING: The following blog entry is probably too irrelevant for those of you who don't really know me or my friends, Dru and Arianna. Most of what you're about to read is for the benefit of our mutual friends. If you are our friends, the following is still just a documentation of an uneventful day. It still means a lot to me, because I love them. If you're still reading this, enjoy.

Hey, today I actually woke up before noon.

Dru, Arianna and I drove to Cambridge to spend the day and see the sites.

Unfortunately, my camera's battery died Saturday, so the pics you're seeing in this entry are all lower quality camera phone photos. Very gross indeed.

Here's a deathtrap we saw in the parking lot.



We first stopped for lunch. I don't remember the name of the place, but it was a cozy (and air-conditioned) little restaurant that served some "traditional" English food. I ended up having an Oxtail sandwich with greens and potatoes. The bread was fantastic. Toasted garlic bread. Unhealthy, but delicious. We finished with cream tea (hot tea, clotted cream, jam and scones). MMMmm. Unhealthy.

For those who tried to ruin my trip to England by saying I can't get sweet tea... lookee-here:



After lunch we just walked the city streets, wandered in and out of shops, and eventually, we went "punting."




punt
n.
An open flatbottom boat with squared ends, used in shallow waters and usually propelled by a long pole.

v. punt·ed, punt·ing, punts
v. tr.

1. To propel (a boat) with a pole.
2. To carry in a punt.




This definition fails to mention an important element of punting: The possibility of getting ones hands and arms crushed, a concussion, head wound, or being thrown overboard by other inept punters.

Cambridge is filled with beautiful old schools and churches, and they can all be easily viewed on a punt ride down the river. This leads to everyone and his brother attempting to make money by taking toursits down the river. Some rental places will let YOU do the punting... which definitely contributes to so much "bumper boat" action and a lot of near-decapitations. What is intended to be a relaxing trip down the river became a stressful, 45 minute ride of paranoia and slight injury.






But it was fun.



For dinner, we couldn't decide what to do, so it was Arianna's bright idea to go to a local Japanese restaurant, Teri-Aki. The worst Japanese restaurant I've had the displeasure of visiting. Hmm. I guess it is British Japanese food or something. Pretty gross. At least we've all learned our lesson.



That's pretty much it. I just made my way back to Newcastle that night.
Tomorrow, back to SUMO and back to blog entries relevant to me, SUMO and our daily activities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home