Monday, June 19, 2006

Finally, some progress.

June 19, 2006

Okay, for all those whiners out there that've begged to see what've I've been working on, today's your lucky day! Time for a small taste.

Here're a couple of comps for the Durham Literature Festival. It's a banner that illustrates the basics of literature: reading and writing. The banner can be hung upside down and read just as well.




The horizontal format poster can be placed on building corners (interior and exterior).




Also, I'm told that my work looks very "American." Just the graphic style, typography and everything. I've noticed most of the work being done out here is more minimal, clean, vector, type-driven stuff. Interesting.

All in all, my day at Sumo was pretty productive. Much more than last week (in my opinion). I guess my time spent brainstorming, sketching and trashing ideas is finally paying off (We'll have to hear from the client before I can say that).

Oh, I was introduced to some more British food today, the Cornish Pasty, for lunch. It's kind of like a calzone, but it has more of a pie crust.



At the end of the productive SUMO day, a few of us went out for drinks at a bar called "Revolution." It was originally a bank, but it was remodeled for nightlife I guess. Jim's Dad even used to work at this place. Kinda funny, actually. I can hear it now, "See that guy over there passed out in the corner? That's where I used to sit." Nevermind.



We met up with one of Jim's design buddies, Andy. We spent a lot of time just hanging out chit-chatting. A common topic of conversation? Graphic Design (and its current state). Topics varied from bad students to ill-prepared Universities to annoying pitches for new business, etc., etc.. Well, it wasn't ALL negative. There was good stuff in there too.

Jim and Andy both touched on a concept I wasn't aware of. Apparently there's a UK government organiztion called "Business Link." They provide various services for startup companies, but what surprised me most is the fact that Business Link will cover 40% of design costs for folks that can't afford it. They help pay for logos, letterhead, promotions, etc. Various agencies can sign up as volunteers/partners to Business Link and are immediately on a list to be contacted or recommended to startups. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that's just my impression from a casual pub conversation.

Dinner followed, and all you Brains folks out there will be happy to know I've found my favorite bread in Newcastle (so far anyway)! We ate at an Indian restaurant called "Latifs" and I had the best nan ever! Great food, and the servers have a great sense of humor (the waiter was busting my balls, insisting the bread was £20. I was trying to tell him to cancel it, but he insisted, "it's only £20." Turns out, I'm dumb, and he was joking). British Indian food is much better than British Japanese food. MMmm-mmm.



All for now. Thanks for reading. I know no one cares about the minuta of my day. I'm just trying to let you "live" it with me. Plus, I can't write about the real juicy parts. That'll be in "Adventures in Newcastle: The Director's Cut."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Durham Festival stuff!

I'm glad you finally got your cool rainy day. Still sunny and very hot here.

a

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great stuff. things seem to be going well this week. a great way to end a work vacaction.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought your work looked very Gammerican.

Bring on the juicy details! Don't hold back!!!

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if Michael's design looks European, I can always tell Swiss, Dutch and South American design too. I guess we all have slightly different styles even in our smaller world

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home