Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Rainy Day

June 20, 2006

Finally, the overcast cloudy weather I was expecting from Newcastle has arrived. Seriously, I love it. It was a brisk Tuesday morning. I probably could've used a jacket, but I'm too manly for that.



It was a typical workday I guess. I did some more on the Durham Lit Fest pieces, and now I'm just continuing along with the History of York identity. I hope to get some good stuff going before I head out of town at the end of the week. Oh, I did some more photo retouching again today. Woo-hoo!






After work today, we ventured out to a local arthouse theatre (Tyneside Cinema) to see "Titles Highlights" (a 120 minute film featuring the most iconic film titles from 1950-1999). It pretty much featured sequences by esteemed designers such as Saul Bass (Vertigo, Psycho and The Man With The Golden Arm), Maurice Binder (Dr. No), Pablo Ferro (Bullitt and Dr. Strangelove), Imaginary Forces, Kyle Cooper (Se7en) and many others. Some other sequences include classics like "The Pink Panther," "Delicatessin" and "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me." I actually felt like they'd missed a lot... and some that were included could've easily been dropped. It's still great to see that this community can support a theatre like this... let alone a film that's basically a collection of opening movie credits.



Other big news: It's time for another World Cup match. Who's playing in this life-changing match? England and Sweden of course, It was odd though. The match started at 8, but the streets were totally empty. Not a soul. Maybe everyone was indoors watching. Anyway, things seemed a lot calmer than last week's 6 o'clock match. We actually watched the match in the cellar bar at my hotel. Much different crowd this time around. Oh, the match was a draw by the way.



I had my first "fish and chips" since I've arrived. Notice it's served on newspaper. Classic.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those fish & chips look yummy. Bob Gammon is pretty funny, by the way.
I laughed my butt off imagining Michael playing a night of Unreal Tournament. LOL!!

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious. Whose comment did you delete? I guess the countdown of your departure has begun. Enjoy every minute. You'll be back to the hot South soon enough.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After getting your MySpace bulletin, I thought I'd leave some silly "enough 'bout England, come over and see the pubs in SF!" But I hadn't read your blog yet. Thank you so much for your documentation of this trip. I've been reading it over the past two days, and plan on going all the way to the beginning of your journey, in reverse order. I was so happy to see Dru settled, in his swank kitchen, and all the fun you guys were having. So, yeah, thanks.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Justin Gammon said...

No prob, Frank. I'm glad some folks are getting a kick out of reading this stuff.

Also, Mom, I deleted some SPAM comment. Just some nonsensical advertisement thing.

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin, I too am loving reading the details of your trip. I am really jealous. I hope this post comes through, my last one didn't. Do they serve Bangers and mash? I think that is how it is spelled.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home